Amity was established between 1848 and 1849 by Joseph and Ahio S. Watt, two brothers who had immigrated to Oregon over the Oregon Trail. Part of Joseph's land claim became the community's town-site. The name "Amity" came from the name of a school that was built by two rival communities after the amicable settlement of a dispute. Ahio, the first teacher, named the school. Amity post office was established inn 1852. Joseph established the first woolen mill in Oregon, and in 1868 shipped wheat to England in the first instance of Oregon wheat being sent around Cape Horn.
DATES TO REMEMBER:
1846- First Pioneers began arriving in this area.
1848- Amity is established.
1849- First school began in Amity Mr. Ahio Watt was the teacher.
1853- The Post Office was established. Mr. Jerome Walling was the first Postmaster.
1879- First Trains came to Amity. The Passenger trains stopped coming in the early 1930's.
1892- First newspaper established. It was called the "Amity Popgun"
1905- The first bank was opened. Electricity came to Amity about this time also.
1914- The High School was built.
1936- A new Grade School was built, which is now the Amity Middle School.
Mr. Enos Williams donated the square in front of the Middle School and it has been known as the "School Square" ever since.
1981- The newest Elementary School was built on Rice Lane and ready for the students in September of this year.